- What is an RBA Factory Lead?
The person at a factory who has completed the requirements of the RBA Factory Lead Certification Program. To achieve this, we have created a training program geared for the person at a factory who is responsible for implementing the RBA Code. Upon completion of this program the applicant will be educated on the RBA Code and important elements of the RBA audit program, Validated Assessment Program (VAP).
- Who should apply for the RBA Factory Lead Certification?
The person at a factory who is responsible for implementing the RBA program, or the person who will lead the factory through an RBA Audit. It is also beneficial for staff at RBA member companies.
- Does the factory have to be an RBA member to apply for the RBA Factory Lead Certification?
No. The certification is available for any member factory, a supplier factory of a member, or a factory undergoing an RBA Audit or others.
- What is required to achieve the RBA Factory Lead certification?
Completion of the RBA Factory Lead curriculum of on-demand courses available in the RBA Learning Academy. Select in-person courses taken within the past 12 months can also substitute – see the course outline for more information.
- How long will it take to complete the online classes for the RBA Factory Lead Certification?
The courses are approximately 20-45 minutes in length and there is an online test at the end of each course. The total estimate is no more than 30 hours to complete all courses and tests; however, the length of time will depend on the individual. The online courses can be resumed where they are stopped if a participant must take a break while taking the course.
- How much does it cost?
$500 for RBA members and $800 for non-members, per applicant. Group pricing is also available.
- Can more than one person at a factory receive the RBA Factory Lead Certification?
Yes. The certification is available for anyone responsible for the RBA program at a factory or wanting a deep understanding of social and environmental standards in the supply chain.
- What languages are the classes in?
Each class has different language options available, but all classes are offered in English and most are also available in Chinese. Additional translations exist for other modules.
- How long is the certification good for?
The certification is good for 2 years after successful completion of the courses and tests.
- How do I apply for the RBA Factory Lead Certification Program?
Please register here. Note that payment will be required upon registration. Once payment has been received, a Learning Academy account will be set up for the registrant (if none already exists) and the course curriculum will be assigned and viewable in the participant’s account.
For more information, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- I want to have several of my staff or suppliers go through this program, can RBA help facilitate this and is group pricing available?
Yes, group pricing is available - please contact the RBA for more information. RBA can help with set up and one streamlined invoice, so these individuals don’t have to register and pay separately. Members also have the option to customize the Learning Academy with their own logo and RBA staff can assist with this.
- What is the Factory of Choice (FOC) Program?
Factory of Choice is an award that is issued for going “above and beyond audits.” It is awarded to factories that demonstrate leadership and the successful implementation of the Code.
- What are the levels of recognition?
There is currently one level of recognition called the “One-Star” award.
- What is required for the One-Star Award?
One Star, is awarded to factories that completed the Validated Audit Process (VAP), achieved a minimum score of 160, closed all Priority findings (see VAP Recognition Program FAQs for more information), has an RBA-Certified Factory Lead and a functioning forum for workers to provide ongoing input to management regarding the workplace. The One-Star award can be assessed and awarded remotely.
- Do factories have to apply for the award?
Yes. Factories must apply and agree to be held to the requirements of the program and provide information on how the worker forum functions at the site.
- What is the form of the award?
Each recipient will receive a package from the RBA, which includes a letter from the Executive Director, a Digital copy of the award, and a plaque sent to the factory. The digital logo may be posted on your printed material or website as long as the usage guidelines are followed. See Usage Guidelines for more information, located on the member SharePoint site.
- Can I announce the award to my customers?
Yes. The award demonstrates a high-level commitment to the RBA Code of Conduct. The award can be shared with customers, investors, employees or any other interested party and posted to your website as long as the usage guidelines are followed.
- What is the difference between the Factory of Choice and the VAP Audit Recognition Program?
The VAP Recognition is a prerequisite to the Factory of Choice. The VAP Recognition demonstrates that a factory is committed to the RBA Code of Conduct, has completed an audit and closed all Priority findings through a Closure VAP. This must be completed before applying for the Factory of Choice Program.
- Can Site Recognition be taken away?
Yes. There are several reasons an award can be revoked. Proactive reasons include gross misconduct or any action that puts the lives of workers in danger. Reactive reasons include an expired VAP or a factory that decides to stop participating in the program. The RBA may grant a 6-month extension for extenuating circumstances determined by RBA Staff. All extensions and revocations will be documented and made available upon request.
- How can I verify an RBA Factory of Choice Award?
- How much does it cost to get Factory of Choice Recognition?
It’s free of charge, but there is a fee to complete the Factory of Choice training, which is a required to apply for the FoC recognition.
- What is the timeline to complete the FoC certification?
No specific timeline, the FoC recognition is good as long as the VAR and FL Certificate are valid (each has a two-year valid period).
- If our VAR or Factory Lead Certification expiration date is less than 6 months, can we apply the FoC?
No, you should wait until you have a new VAR or FLC to use with your FoC applications.
- What’s the period of validity of FoC Award?
The FoC valid period ends whenever the VAR or the Factory Lead Certificate expires, whichever comes first. The FoC valid date will be listed on the FoC certificate that is provided when an FoC application is approved.
- How do we prove the worker forum is functional?
Worker Forum should include face to face meetings between management and workers in which workers can raise concerns regarding labor practices. A hotline or suggestion box alone is not considered a worker forum. Please refer to “WORKER FORUM CHECKLIST” which details expectations for a qualified worker forum.